top of page

Combustible cladding :: What you need to know

Updated: Dec 15, 2020

Do you own a building in Queensland? Is it a class 2 - 9, of type A or B construction and was built or had the cladding altered after 1 January 1994 but before 1 October 2018?​ If you answered yes, then you may be required to register the building/s and complete a combustible cladding checklist with the Queensland Government.

So, what's this all about and why do you need to comply?

Building fires like the Spencer St high-rise in Melbourne and London's Grenfell Tower have raised real concerns about the use of combustible cladding. To address the issue, the Government is working to identify buildings in Queensland that may be affected.

How do you know if you need to register?

Owners of buildings which meet the following ​must register their buildings and complete the combustible cladding checklist:

  • A class 2 - 9;

  • Of type A or B construction; and 

  • Built or have had the cladding altered after 1 January 1994 but before 1 October 2018.

Owners who are unsure about the above details should seek professional advice or read the Classification Summary on the Safer Buildings website.

Owners of houses or townhouses do not need to register.

Body corporate representatives and property managers​ may need to organise an authorised agent of the owner to register the building and complete the combustible cladding checklist. NB Body corporates are considered to be owners of buildings that have two or more lots.

Owners of buildings in Queensland who live interstate or overseas may be required to register and complete the combustible cladding checklist. An agent can be engaged to act on the owner’s behalf.

How long do you have to register and comply?

The following key dates need to be adhered to:

  • 1 October 2018 :: The regulation comes into effect.

  • 29 March 2019 :: Register buildings and complete the combustible cladding checklist (part 1).

  • 29 May 2019* :: ​Complete the building industry professional statement and complete the combustible cladding checklist (part 2).

  • 27 August 2019* :: Engage fire engineer and register their details on the combustible cladding checklist (part 3).

  • 3 May 2021* :: Complete the building fire safety risk assessment, fire engineer statement and the combustible cladding checklist (part 3)

* The majority of buildings will not have combustible cladding and will not require further assessment by a building industry professional and/or a fire engineer.

Who pays to comply?

As the building owner, you will incur the associated costs with registering and complying. 

Concerns and queries around the potential impact of property values and rental returns in the event your building is found to have combustible cladding installed should be discussed with a lawyer. 

For more information or legal advice regarding your specific situation, please contact Noel or Jeremy. 

12 views0 comments


Los comentarios se han desactivado.
bottom of page